Anti-aging skincare is a MASSIVE market and big skincare giants are always on the hunt for new finds that plump out wrinkles, banish fine lines to an artist’s sketch pad and brighten those ‘sun spots’. There are some very well known and well researched ingredients that do wind those years backwards (vitamin A and niacinamide I am looking at you!)… but here is the thing, WHY wind back that damage when you could stop it from happening in the first place… why treat the effects when you could treat the cause…
We all have the ability to age ‘gracefully’ it’s what we do to our bodies in that in-between part from teenager to retiree that gets to determine HOW graceful our skin behaves! What if I told you there was a MAGIC cream that you could apply every day that would put your capital G into graceful ageing? What if I told you this magic cream didn’t let ageing take a grip of your skin in the first place which meant you didn’t have to spend the big bucks on prescription retin-A or high price tag jars of promise? … Then what if I told you this magic cream is the most purse friendly addition to your skincare armoury EVER?
Would you be bursting to use it?
Would you be running for a bottle in a ‘Black Friday Sale’ kinda way? [I mean this is going to be MEGA popular ‘eh!]
THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE ANTI-AGING CREAM
…hold those sneakers for Black Friday because those skincare companies knew this was going to be a BIG thing, so they made you a zillion bottles of this stuff in all shapes and sizes. The magic cream. Sunscreen.
The BIGGEST thing causing your skin to age that is completely under your control is our beautiful but also pretty skin dangerous sun!
Sun is shining onto us a HUGE spectrum of light every single minute of the day, some of it we can see, that’s the visible stuff, and then some of it we can’t. The bits we can’t see do different things to us, there’s Infrared light that is just the right energy to make us feel warm. Then there’s UV light which is just the right energy to cause [big eekness!] permanent changes deep down in the core of our biology. UV light makes things like free radicals [super reactive particles that cause a ton of damage really fast], causes cells that make healthy skin to die and can even make mutations in our cells that cause skin cancers.
Honestly sunscreen is THE most cost effective anti-aging investment you could EVER make. I hear you when you’re telling me this is EFFORT, I absolutely do, it feels like effort because…
- You have to start before you have ANY signs of aging. That feels like effort because most of us wait until there is a BIG arse ‘pain point’ that will kick our butts into action. It’s like waiting for your tummy to remind you it needs feeding instead of having regular ‘food times’. It’s like watching a movie and being DESPERATE for the toilet, so naturally you hold it in until the moment before you might actually PEE yourself. It’s like having a VERY reasonable deadline for a piece of work, only to leave it to the last minute pressure of the deadline to actually ‘do the damn thing’.
- You will NEVER [ever] see the benefit… Those shocking before and after shots you get with make-overs, cosmetic procedures or even a tub of anti-aging face cream. THAT before and after shot will never happen if you use sunscreen every day of your life. That is a GREAT thing, but the flip side is this, you will NEVER ever have that shocking before and after shot as motivation.
- There are some greasy, sticky versions of this shizzle out there! Some sunscreen really is icky. It can make you look like you just auditioned for Casper or it can make you feel like you ‘tried’ to eat a popsicle and instead dripped that sticky melt all down your arm. Sunscreen can absolutely feel POOP. Find the right one, and it won’t look or feel like this.. I have some recommendations for you if this is what makes you sunscreen phobic!
- Let’s be honest, you associate it with mum nagging the B-Jesus out of you when you were little… You’re happily playing out in the sunshine, maybe even testing out some ‘I hate you’ but I like you really primary school flirting and out hollers your mum, ‘Dear, when was the last time you put sunscreen on?’, ‘Did you hear me?’, ‘Hello!?’, ‘Come here now’…
- We know it’s good for us, so immediately we don’t want to do it! How strange but true is that psychology!
Now that we have those ‘but it’s effort’ reasons out in the open, let’s ‘facilitate’ your new relationship with this most cost-effective anti-aging cream. Here is how to change your mind-set…
- As NIKE would say ‘just do it’, don’t think about that sunscreen, make it as routine as brushing your teeth in the morning. Put that bottle on your ‘get ready’ table and don’t ever move it unless your using it!
- Use a sun-loving relative as your BEFORE shot! There are 2 ways we age, one is in-built into our DNA, we are born with it (intrinsic), the other is caused by how we treat our bodies (extrinsic – sun, alcohol, sleep…). That means if we want to get a good idea of what our skin will look like in X years, our best bet is to look at a close relative, your mum, your auntie or even your grandma. If they were a heavy smoker or a sun worshipper then you’ll have your BEFORE shot. If they weren’t just think how much better your skin could look if you used the more advanced and super cost effective anti-aging sunscreen that is now available !
- Don’t let the ugly ducklings of sunscreen put you off. It’s like choosing a mascara, you don’t know what it’s going to do for YOU until you use it. There are going to be some that clump and stick and there are some that will look like you aren’t even wearing an added extra. I have some sunscreen phobic options coming atcha…
- Make a conscious decision to be skin healthy. This is the big guns! Seriously ask yourself, ‘Are you ready to commit to this? Are you concerned enough about your skin aging that you DO want to do this one little thing about it now and every day into your future?‘ This is important. Don’t make yourself do something you’re not that bothered about in the first place [of course if you are on holiday sunbathing please be sunscreen responsible!]. Give it some serious thought and decide whether you are ready to make this commitment to yourself at THIS moment in time. If you’re not, that’s ok, maybe you might feel differently in the furture, maybe you won’t – that’s ok. Just be conscious about what you want and what you are willing to do to get what you want. #LifeCoah *winks*
THE 2 TYPES OF SUNSCREEN
If you are ready to make this cost effective anti-aging commitment to your skin… let’s put pen to paper and get WED! If not, save this bit for later…
There are 2 types of sunscreen you can choose from, one if mineral and one is ‘man-made’.
Mineral sunscreens are also called physical sunscreens as these dudes set up a million sets of curtains on your skin, they literally physically BLOCK sunshine from entering your skin. Think of mineral sunscreens like the ‘school fringe’ that got a bit out of control.
Common mineral sunscreen ingredients: Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide.
Man-made sunscreens are carefully selected and tested ingredients that ‘absorb’ damaging light. That means the light cannot get to the playground of your skin. Man-made sunscreens are like putting BMX worthy suspension into your skincare routine.
Common man-made sunscreen ingredients: Octocrylene, Homosalate, Avobenzone, Oxybenzone, Oxtinoxate, Menthyl Anthranilate [there are a lot of these!].
Mineral sunscreens are a more natural option using ingredients that are considered ‘safe’ and well known. The main drawback to mineral sunscreen is that is can give you that ‘Casper the ghost’ look if you pick up a poorly formulated one. On the other side, the man-made sunscreens will never make you look like Casper, but some of the ingredients, specifically, Oxybenzone is of concern. Our skin seems to like Oxybenzone ‘TOO’ much, meaning it can get absorbed pretty deeply and we aren’t too sure of long term effects. The sunscreens I’ve recommended don’t contain Oxybenzone.
John Masters Organics – SPF 30 Natural Mineral Sunscreen works thanks to the 7.5% titanium dioxide and 5% Zinc oxide which makes this one a full ‘mineral’ styleee protector!
There are also some of my all-time favourite skin loving ingredient in John Masters Mineral sunscreen. As well as sun protection you get a lovely dose of skin soothing Allantoin, skin conditioning Shea butter, hydrating Hyaluronic acid and calming Aloe Vera. There are more, but I’ll leave you to discover the whole family!
This is a nice thin cream that rubs in SUPER quick and also avoids the Casper the ghost look – cudos to the formulators at John Masters!
The anti-aging investment: £28.50/59ml via FeelUnique. UVA & UVB protection.
Are you an avid sunscreen user or are you an ‘avid’ in the making?
Cheryl Woodman is a scientist & award winning skincare formulator who’s more friend next door than bow tie wearing professor. As creator of Honesty For Your Skin her aim is to help you care for your skin in the best ways possible. She’s founder of the natural & fragrance free skincare brand Honesty while also hosting 1 to 1 skincare coaching to help you get your best skin yet. Find out more here.