Have you ever had squeaky feeling skin? It’s almost ‘so clean’ that you could eat off it [cue THAT SATC scene where Samantha ‘jewels’ herself with sushi]. Squeaky feeling skin, feels smooth, roughness free… have you been buffed to an inch of your life? Have you been for a traditional Hamam and you got squeaky feeling skin after?
What is going on when we get that squeaky feeling skin and is it a good thing?
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE GET SQUEAKY FEELING SKIN?
Let’s start off by saying squeaky feeling skin might feel good if you’re a bit OCD about cleanliness, but it is not a good thing for your skin health. That squeaky skin feeling may actually be speeding up the rate that your skin will age at. Whoooa! What?
Normally stuff kinda ‘glides’ off your skin.. if you didn’t rub a body oil in, it would just run off #NotOnTheCarpets! This ‘built in’ feature of our skin keeps stuff out… it protects us from everything from bacteria to aging. What can we thank for skin health? Our top layer of skin which is mostly fat based, or in other words oil!
When our skin is squeaky feeling, it means we’ve rubbed off a fair ol’ bit of that naturally protective oil layer.
BUT I DON’T LIKE HAVING OILY SKIN, SO IS IT REALLY THAT BAD?
Good question! I am an oily skin sufferer so I completely relate. Here is the thing, your skin doesn’t have to feel oily to still have that oil based protective layer there. Normal skin has that perfect oily protection, without looking oily. Oily skin has ‘way’ more of it and dry skin has lost too much.
WHAT IS YOUR SKIN VULNERABLE TO IF IT HAS THAT SQUEAKY CLEAN FEELING?
This is the biggy why you’ll want to avoid squeaky feeling skin. Squeaky feeling skin has side effects!
- Squeaky feeling skin will make your skin dry. When you’ve washed away too much of your oil based protection, there’s less left to hold in your skin’s hydration. That oil layer keeps your skin hydrated, because water & oil don’t mix. Your skin hydration can’t go anywhere because it can’t get past your oily protective layer. Clever ‘eh!
- Squeaky feeling skin will make your skin age FASTER. If your skin feels squeaky a lot of the time then it’s like leaving a painting in a sunny window… it’s going to fade away quicker than if it was all protected. All skin has an in-built aging rate, then there are ‘external stressors’ which can speed that up. Squeaky feeling skin is one of those age accelerators.
- Squeaky feeling skin will make you vulnerable to skin infections. Did you know skin is the largest organ of the body? It’s over looked a lot, we take it for granted because it does its job so well! It’s time to give your skin a first prize ribbon… it is super skilled! If you’ve ever been in for surgery, you’ll know everything has to be super sterilised because we are on-purposely breaking the skin… our bodies defences are literally being cut down. Sometimes people are even put on anti-biotics after surgry just to make sure there are no nasties that sunk in while your skin was “resting”.
SO WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAVE SQUEAKY FEELING SKIN
Now we know squeaky is not the ‘new skin thing’ and should be avoid at all costs, what should we do to make sure squeaky is reserved for the dishes? I have 3 key squeaky clean skin saviours for you
- Don’t over use the shower gel OR face wash. Shower gel eats oil and sends it down your plug hole. Imagine your shower gel is Packman and your skin is its food. The more you use, the more skin protection gets eaten. It’s the same for face wash too. Check out this post on ‘Why You Should Use The Tiniest Amount of Shower Gel You Can’, get a read of that and you’ll find some awesome shower gel alternative recco’s at the bottom.
- Don’t over exfoliate. Do you have a favourite pair of jeans? Have you HAD a favourite pair of jeans that are no longer with us? I feel your pain! The more we wear stuff, the more our jeans are rubbed on the knees, when we sit on the sofa, the more our jeans are ‘rubbed away’. That is the same for your skin, the more we rub at it with something exfoliating, the more skin protection we lose.
- Turn down the heat in your shower. Heat makes stuff happen faster. It speeds up our food cooking, it dries our hair quicker, heat is super skilled at being FAST. If you’re a fan of a super hot shower, it could be giving you that squeaky feeling skin because even if you’re only having a short 5 minutes at high heat, that’s like a long 30 minute shower at a cooler temp. Heat speeds up the washing of our oily protectiveness down the drain.
When was the last time you had squeaky feeling skin?
Cheryl Woodman is a scientist & award winning skincare formulator who’s more friend next door than bow tie wearing professor. As creator of Honesty For Your Skin her aim is to help you care for your skin in the best ways possible. She’s founder of the natural & fragrance free skincare brand Honesty while also hosting 1 to 1 skincare coaching to help you get your best skin yet. Find out more here.