The first time you ask Google for anti-ageing skincare… which works (!), Drunk Elephant is going to be one of the first brands you get eyes on.
It’s like the Dyson of skincare. The Chanel quilted handbag. Shoes with the red sole 😉
And guess what?
Drunk Elephant just launched their first-ever ‘probiotic skincare’ product.
(more about those air quotes soon :))
Welcome to the world – Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray.
Today my friend, I have an in-full scientific Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray review just for you. Don’t buy it yet. There’s a heck load to know first, including why it can help save you from the #1 anti-ageing mistake. Aka why you’re going to want to treat your skin like a Tortoise.
Are you ready to find out more? Let’s get to this eh…
The First Love Moment
Before we get to the full scientific Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray review and if you should invest, I want to level with you right now.
Almost any product you pick up which claims to be probiotic skincare is a fake. A big, humungous, enormous fake.
That’s a statement eh 😉
Here’s the deal – by definition probiotics contain live bacteria.
And in oral supplement form, they’re regulated this way.
Psst – regulations are different for skincare. They’re catching up.
This means skincare can be called probiotic skincare when it doesn’t have any live probiotics in the mix.
Kind of like calling a brown coloured cake, chocolate cake, when it has zero chocolate in it.
Psst – there are a handful (literally a handful) of true probiotic skincare products you can buy. These tend to be not so nice to use and also not great for oily/acne-prone skin. That’s because the ‘live’ bacteria are suspended in a water-free, oily mixture to make sure they don’t ‘activate’ in the bottle.
I love, love, love the way Drunk Elephants new Sweet Biome Spray is being marketed.
They’re selling it good. In a truthful way.
Because Drunk Elephants Sweet Biome Spray is aimed at having a probiotic effect on your skin, but it does not contain live bacteria aka is not a probiotic.
What it does contain are ingredients which can;
- Have a prebiotic effect aka help feed good bacteria living on your skin
- Make your skin an easier place for good bacteria to thrive in aka ‘a comfy couch’
Aka ingredients which can help balance your skin’s microbiome.
Aka your skin’s bacteria planet.
Wahoo – this is a gigantic tick for Drunk Elephants new Sweet Biome Spray.
See where the name comes from? 🙂
Why Supporting Your Skin’s Microbiome is So, So Important
Especially if you want to anti-age your skin!
Over the years of working with my wonderful SkinCoachees, when I’m setting up a skincare routine with the #1 aim of anti-ageing skin, I see this mistake over and over again.
Being like the Hare vs. the Tortoise.
Going in hard and going in strong.
…when you haven’t got the anti-ageing basics sorted first.
And eventually, if you continue this way… just like the Hare, skin collapses. You see great progress at first… then it all falls away fast, you can even end up causing your skin pro-ageing damage.
Supporting your skin’s microbiome is one of the most important anti-ageing basics because good skin bacteria are being found to help;
- Anti-age your skin – boom!
- Protect your skin against UV light damage – the biggest cause of ageing under your control
- Help your skin resist infection and therefore extra skin stress (plus acne, spots and pimples)
- Help hydrate your skin (because good bacteria feed on your skin and make actives which hydrate your skin) – hydrated skin resists fine lines and wrinkles for longer!
Psst – get your copy of my free 5 best anti-ageing actives cheatsheet now by clicking here.
Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray Review
Now to the Juicy bit 🙂
The full Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray review.
What magic can it work for your skin? Should you stop everything you’re doing right now and jump on CultBeauty to purchase it right away?
Let’s start at the beginning eh. The most important piece of information we have is not located on the front of that pretty bottle 😉 it’s on the back.
The ingredients list.
Here we go…
Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Ingredients
Psst – please, please don’t worry if this looks like gobbledegook. It is. I’m de-gooking this science for you. Keep scrolling down – I’m about to reveal more.
Ingredients; Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium PCA, Propanediol, Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Fructooligosaccharides, Saccharomyces/Xylinum/Black Tea Ferment, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Juice, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Lactic Acid, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Zinc Gluconate, Sodium Lactate, Magnesium Aspartate, PCA, Alanine, Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Valine, Aspartic Acid, Calcium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Trehalose, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Ceramide AP, Ceramide EOP, Ceramide NP, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Xylitol, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Tapioca Starch, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Lactate, Polysorbate 20, Citric Acid, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Ethylhexylglycerin.
First thing I’m looking at – what is the very first ‘active’ ingredient?
Answer – sodium PCA.
A fab active to see high up because it’s skin-identical. Part of your skin’s natural moisturising factors. Attracting water to itself like a magnet and locking it in.
Remember – keeping your skin well hydrated is a #1 way to make your skin a comfy couch for good bacteria. Wahoo.
Now as I’m scrolling down through this list I’m seeing actives that split off into 3 key categories;
- Fermentation extracts aka the end product of a probiotic/once a probiotic has feasted it makes this (i.e galactomyces ferment filtrate) – these actives can have a ‘probiotic effect’ on skin, encouraging a healthy microbiome
- Natural moisturising factors (i.e. amino acids, sodium PCA) – keep skin hydrated, aka make skin comfy for good bacteria
- Natural conditioning factors (i.e. essential fatty acids, ceramides) – keep skin conditioned aka with a healthy oil layer to lock in water – psst – water which isn’t locked in will dry out your skin – kinda like when you go swimming and your skin gets super dry after
Which means Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Spray is going to fantastic if you have;
- Unbalanced skin i.e. dry/dehydrated or oily/dehydrated
- Always dull-looking skin
- Your skin is constantly stressed i.e. reddened or irritated or sensitive
- Your skin is acne-prone or- spot-prone
- You’re starting to see the first signs of skin ageing
- Your makeup never sits right, it looks patchy/flaky (a sure sign your skin’s super dehydrated)
And the actives in this pretty purple bottle can have all of these direct benefits;
- Hydrating – short term and long term
- Non-greasy moisturising
- Redness reducing/rosacea controlling
- Strengthening/resilience increasing
- Breakout preventing/breakout controlling
- Adding back skin elasticity and bounce
- Extra quirky science bonus – can increase the expression of vitamin D receptors in your skin (thanks to the beet extract + fructooligosaccharides) – your skin needs vitamin D to be strong – it helps regulate the birthing cycle of your skin cells aka your skin barrier
Is Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray For You?
Have you got confused after seeing all of the awesome benefits this Sweet Biome Spray can have? Me too.
There’s a heck load of them eh.
Here’s the headliner.
The number one benefit of Drunk Elephant Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray is instant and long-lasting hydration.
It sounds basic but trust me, it’s not. If you’ve struggled with constantly dehydrated, dull-looking skin for years – you’ll be hearing me on this right now :).
In the Sweet Biome 100ml bottle, there are actives that can help lock in more water to your skin instantly. And there are actives that can repair ‘nutrient deficiencies’ which are making it hard for your skin to hold onto that hydration long term.
This is the cause of your constantly dull-looking skin.
Psst – still confused whether Drunk Elephant’s Sweet Biome Spray is for you? I’m here to help.
Where to Buy Drunk Elephant’s Sweet Biome Fermented Sake Spray
Right now there’s just a handful of places;
Will you be testing out the ‘Tortoise approach’ to healthy, happy skin? 😉 Come let me know in the comments below.
Cheryl Woodman is a scientist, skin health expert & award winning skincare formulator who’s more friend next door than bow tie wearing professor. As creator of Honesty For Your Skin her aim’s to help you get healthier, happier skin you feel comfortable, confident and like the freakin’ awesomesauce you are in. Select the option which best describes your skin health here to see and hear the amazing transformations you could be getting.